The aim of the ICAR-Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering (CIAE) is to develop appropriate machinery and processes for modernization of production and post-production agriculture utilizing animate and mechanical power sources. The specific objectives of ICAR-CIAE are:
- To develop technologies for efficient and timely utilization of inputs, enhanced productivity and lower production cost leading to enhancement of farmers’ income, conserving resources, climate smart agriculture and better human health of the stakeholder.
- To support farmers’ and rural economy by reducing post-harvest losses and also to provide nutritious alternatives through value addition to cereals, millets, soybean, fruits & vegetable, pulses, etc.
- To develop smart machines for production and post-production unit operations and on-farm energy management through contemporary innovations like artificial intelligence, robotics, automation and IoT.
- To provide mechanized interventions in on-farm water management practices for efficient utilization of water.
- To increase energy use efficiency in production and post-production operations through development of appropriate technologies using conventional and renewable sources of energy.
- To provide leadership and coordinate research through network of research centers established all over the country for developing commodity and location specific technologies for modernization of agriculture and undertaking agro-processing.
- To undertake technology and IP management through information dissemination, commercialization and capacity building of stakeholders
- To enhance skills of all stakeholders and act as national repository of knowledge in the area of agricultural engineering.